Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Reward



My hot pink toenails in my new Havaianas -- I'm a total convert, by the way. The old guy staying in the house right now made fun of me, asking if the toenails will glow in the dark. He's not all that nice.

I finally got a manicure and pedicure yesterday, as my reward for starting personal training. I imagine that someday working out will produce its own rewards, but right now I'm exhausted and still trying to wrap my head around going to the gym six days a week. So I get a reward. Of course, I was less sure of the brilliance of this idea when the woman doing my pedicure picked up my foot, saw the bottom of it, and wrinkled her nose in a look of disgust. Yes lady, I know my feet are callused and blistered! That's why I'm getting a freaking pedicure!

I had to get up and go to the gym Saturday morning, so that wasn't fun. I came home and went to the beach, but by the time I walked to the beach all I wanted to do was take a nap! I've really been worn out this week. On the way to the beach I stopped at the library and got What is the What by Dave Eggers, which I'm very excited to read.

Joel and I went down to Waikiki because we were hoping to catch the documentary they were showing at "Sunset on the Beach." They set up a big screen on the beach that I go to and show movies every now and then. It's kind of like Screen on the Green in DC, but on a much smaller scale. Unfortunately, it was a short documentary and they showed it before Daddy Day Camp, with Cuba Gooding Jr. Needless to say, we went to a bar instead of watching that award winner.

We went back to Lulu's, where we watched the Lakers-Celtics game. However, at 10pm it turned into "the only party in town where it's 18+!" As thrilling as that would have been, we decided to take off shortly after they started handing out wrist bands. It was very much like a high school dance in the way they placed chairs around the room, facing in to the dance floor and underage guys all clinging together (mostly military). My favorite part was that the bar handed out glow stick bracelets to the underage guys so that they stood out as much as possible. Joel's favorite part was that you could only get one beer at a time from the bartender. We left pretty quickly after we discovered that.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh my God I totally hate judgy pedicure ladies. I am always the victim of freaking scorn when I get my once annual pedicure :)