Thursday, June 26, 2008

I'm Back!



And now I'm on wheels! Sorry for the prolonged lack of posting. Getting home at 8pm, showering, and eating dinner doesn't leave much energy for heading up to Safeway for some internetting. But now my life is going to have so much more room for fun: I bought a moped!

I had been spending 4-5 hours a day either on the bus or waiting for the bus. That needed to change.

I did some research and heard that the moped place on Kapahulu (the street I live off of) was the best. They've been in business for a really long time. I stopped by on my way to the beach on Sunday and ended up not making it to the beach. I talked to the two guys working (one was the owner) about what I needed and for how long and they said my best bet would be to buy a used one. They definitely thought I'd be able to make my money back when I sold it in November. So, after a long test drive with Garrett on a moped next to me, I ended up buying the thing.

The test drive was a bit frightening, but after Garrett shouted at me to "Be loose!!" a few hundred times, I started to relax. I had to tell him that this was me "loose." Apparently Garrett liked me just as I was, shoulders up to my ears and all, because not only did I walk away from the shop with a moped, but I walked away with his number too.

I wasn't comfortable enough to ride it to work yet and got home too late to practice on Monday and Tuesday. So tonight I was able to get home before dark and I went out riding for about a half hour. I especially needed to practice my moving left turns (turning when you're not at a full stop). But now I think I'm ready and I'm going to try riding it to work tomorrow. This is going to shave so much time off of my commute!

Plus, now I feel like some sort of Hell's Angel. Talk about silly. I'm most comfortable going 20-25 mph, and when I get above 30 I start to feel shaky. Luckily most of the streets around here have speed limits of 25 or 35, so I fit right in.

Riding around is a lot more fun than I expected, so I'm excited to try it for my commute tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

It's after 8 and I'm going to go home and watch a movie. Stay tuned for my upcoming post about malasadas...the food item most likely to threaten to throw my working out off track...and they're sweet! Who knew a doughnut would be more craveable than french fries?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhhhh - that is AWESOME! I want to see pictures of you actually driving around. So crazy. And a number too? It was quite the day for you...