Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I Must Be Getting Punk'd

Figuring out how to pay for food for seven kids on a youth conservation corps camping trip can't possibly be this hard. There have been waivers, multiple conversations, talks with the regional office, you can't use a credit card, now we have to do a purchase order and find a vendor who will accept payment over the phone, no we can't do that because the kids aren't volunteers because they receive a stipend, we're going to make the kids pay for their own food (surprise! I was so against that idea), never mind, we'll just pay cash from the bosses and fiddle with the reimbursement form, nope, now a one time credit card payment has been authorized.

Are you kidding me????

After several days and many more phone calls, it's all been worked out. The refuge guy who's meeting us will pay for the groceries on his government credit card, but I must purchase everything I'll need to create 88 meals (11 meals x 8 people) at once. Fine, but I have to store it in one big cooler.

Again, are you kidding me????

I also have 500 bucks in my wallet from one of my superiors. I think it's my booze budget so that I don't go insane on this trip.

I leave for the airport in a couple of hours and I'll be on Kaua'i until Sunday afternoon. I won't have internet access (good god, am I really camping?) so I'll post again when I get back. I have lots to tell about my birthday and my gym progress, but it's just been a crazy week trying to get ready for this trip.

Wish me luck! I figure all of this must be making me a better person. Now if I could just stop looking over my shoulder wondering when Ashton Kutcher is going to jump out...

No comments: