Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day Two - Thursday Punished (Part 2)

After our great morning at Waipa we came back to the campsite to get ready to do some work at the refuge.

We met up with M and were going to be removing invasive plants (pulling weeds) and getting some areas ready for native plants with mulch, etc. It was super hot out, but the work wasn't too bad, especially with eight people doing it. Well, it wasn't too bad until about an hour in when I realized I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos. By the time we finished I counted 20-30 mosquito bites on each of my legs, a couple on my arms, a couple right below my butt, and one that swelled to the size of a quarter on the delicate skin of my boob. It was awesome. One of the kids looked at me and said, "Colleen! You didn't just get bit, you got attacked!" Thanks, I know.

And then I got bitten twice more while I was in the shower.

It was also really fun when the park ranger coming to help us said, "Oh, you must be Colleen. I heard about the van." Apparently, the guy who saw it happen on the porch decided to tell everyone in the Kaua'i refuge complex. The kids really enjoyed my muttering about that one. "Oh yeah, that's exactly how I want to be introduced. Not, this is Colleen, the youth opportunity coordinator, or this is Colleen, she went to Georgetown Law, or this is Colleen and no, she doesn't understand how you could possibly think a tiny blind snake that looks like a worm is cute. Get away from me."

That night, M had a barbecue for us and some other refuge employees. There were a couple of people my age there, so I thought that could be fun, but they were the only two people I've met since working here who weren't friendly. Almost downright rude. So I just stayed away from them.

By the time night rolled around, I was ready for "bed" and a good night's sleep. It was not to be. A couple of hours into the night I was woken up by the hardest rain I have ever seen or heard. At first I just tried to go back to sleep, but then I realized my tent was leaking. It was my last camping trip all over again. The rain would abate for a little while and I would fall asleep, only to be woken up again, sure that we were going to be flooded. I considered making a run to the van, but then I'd be soaked and in the van. Not a promising option. I ended up just getting inside my sleeping bag, pulling the hood over my head, and trying to sleep like that. It was hot, but at least I stayed dry. I have to say, the sleeping bag I had was awesome (unlike the tent) and I'm grateful to the man who lent it to me.

After that really good night's sleep, I didn't have much hope for the morning. I knew I wouldn't be hiking and working on the trail with the kids. I had accident paperwork to do.

No comments: