Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day Five - Sunday - Pooped

Sunday morning the kids did a really lovely thing for both M and myself. They took ti leaves and braided us leis, and then sang a traditional Hawaiian thank you chant. It was really touching and I of course teared up, prompting the kids to tell me not to cry. It was a little love fest with hugging and thank yous and happiness. All along the kids had been very gracious to all of the adults and refuge employees they encountered, so it was nice to hear they appreciated me being there too. One of the boys hugged me and told me that I'd done a great job for my first time camping =)

Everything at the rental car place went smoothly, thank goodness, and we got to the airport super early. Lihue Airport is a teeny little place, with live Hawaiian music, and mostly open air. I especially loved the world clocks on the wall all set to the same time. That threw me for a loop at first.

Our flight was great, pretty much just taking off and landing. All the kids had parents there to pick them up and I treated myself to a cab. I basically just fell into bed. I don't remember the last time I felt so grateful for a bed, and for a pillow! My nap was wonderful, and I spent the rest of the afternoon with a Corona and labelling all of my pictures so I could get them up on the internets for all of you lovely people to see.

Overall, a pretty damn good experience, although harrowing and exhausting at times.

No comments: