Thursday, September 11, 2008

Eating Pig on the North Shore

So right now my posts are all out of chronological order, but that's ok - I'm doing it this way because I'm just writing the things that are easiest for me to do at work. Then, you get to be entertained by all of the most fascinating happenings in my life and I have something to do at work and don't have to sit in a grocery store for hours on end.

One of the dishes Hawaii is famous for is kalua pig. You can click on that link to read a Wikipedia article about the yumminess. At least I hope so. Let me know if it doesn't work. Basically kalua pig is a slow cooked pig that's been wrapped in ti leaves. Those are ti leaves. Mom mentioned that she definitely wanted to have some while she and Dad were in town, and me loving all versions of slow cooked pork, I knew just the place to take them.


I don't know if Kono's has the best kalua pig on the North Shore or Oahu, but I know I love it. And I knew it would be the perfect place for lunch after our tour of the refuge. The sandwiches come with grilled onions and barbeque sauce. Clearly I ordered mine without the onions, but I think Mom had the right idea going sauceless. The pork is juicy, with occasional crispy bits, and the sauce takes a little bit away from the porkiness. Here's my sandwich: Yum!

We also had some lunch company at the picnic tables where we ate:


They didn't bother us much. Much like Kaua'i, the North Shore has chickens and roosters roaming everywhere. Keep the country country!

1 comment:

teejay said...

Yum, I want some now!