Thursday, May 29, 2008

Skipping ahead in the story




I saw huge sea turtles basking on the beaches of the North Shore today!! How cool is that? There are volunteers at this particular beach where the turtles like to go who hang out to make sure no one disturbs the turtles.

Jen drove me up to the North Shore to meet some of the people at the Oahu Refuge who I'll be working with. So today I got to drive all around the island. It's just stunningly beautiful. Even if you don't make it out to visit me, the East and North Shores of Oahu are not to be missed. I got a quick tour of the Refuge as well and got to see four species of endangered birds. Also very cool. Blake works on the refuge and will be working closely with our Youth Conservation Corps crew, is quite possibly the most relaxed, laidback person I've ever met. He's also promised to take me to the Oahu Forest, another refuge, where I'll be able to see some of the indigenous plants on the mountains. Apparently most of the plants you see covering the mountains are not native to Hawaii. I'm actually learning a lot already. Who knows -- maybe I'll be a nature girl by the time this trip is over!

Well, my back is itching like crazy from a sunburn I got on Monday...gotta go do something about that.

No comments: