Friday, May 30, 2008

My First Friday

So today we had a going away lunch for Jen. Ten of us from the office went, including my boss (Henry) and Diane. It was nice to be able to get to know them all a bit better, and have them see me outside of these meetings where I just sit silently because I don't know what's going on yet. On our walk back to the office we stopped at the Maritime Museum to look at the exhibit the USFWS co-sponsored/created. It's a cute little area about the islands and has an activity room where the kids get clipboards and covers for their shoes and go do "biological research" on this fake island. It was fun to look around and the museum itself has a lot of cool stuff.


It sprinkled on us a bit while we were walking; that was my first Hawaii rain. I'm glad it's not like Jamaica where every afternoon at the same time it pours for like twenty minutes and then stops. That was a little strange.


I got an email from "Cupid" today suggesting that we go get coffee sometime this weekend. I went ahead and agreed to it, but told him he had to make the plan since I'm new here. I hope it goes well; it'll be nice if I'm able to make a friend, and I imagine he has other friends I could get to know too.


Other than that, my plans for the weekend are pretty open. People keep telling me I'll be "brown" soon, so I'll need to get to the beach and work on that. I also want to explore some more, now that I'm getting my bearings and starting to get to know names of streets and the like. I'm also going to have to try to avoid Ben some -- he rented a car and was asking what my plans were. He's very nice, but I don't think I could do a day trip with him and his walrus mustache. You don't have to tell me; I already know I'm going to hell...



Hey! I finally have a USFWS email account! I already don't like Lotus Notes as much as Outlook. I'm getting really antsy in the office. It's incredibly quiet in here and about 3pm, so I really wish I could just head out. But Jen's still here, and she's my ride home =)

No comments: